Sunday, June 17, 2012

Scrub a dub dub

Let's talk about a good scrub- a gingerbread scrub! I'm all about bath/beauty items- who doesn't want to pamper themselves now and again?! A friend of mine gifted me this homemade scrub last week and I fell in love! My skin was never so soft!! Sooooo, I begged  asked her nicely to bring me the recipe. Surprisingly I had all but the sweet almond oil in my pantry- so I was ready to go. You can basically eat this stuff- although with that much salt I wouldn't advise it!

What you'll need:

A jar of some sort (I repurposed a glass peanut butter jar)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coarse sea salt (but not too gnarly folks, you don't want to rip your skin up here. get coarse but not rocks, if you know what I mean?)
1/2- 3/4 cup of carrier oil (I recommend, olive, sweet almond or jojoba- or a mix of all or a few.)
2 tsp. cocoa powder
2 tsp. ground ginger (I substituted cinnamon, although I have the ginger- I'm a dork and read it wrong! haha)
2 tsp. nutmeg.


Since I used cinnamon instead of ginger, you can't technically call my scrub gingerbread- I like to call it, spiciness in a jar- okay not really- I call it cinnamon spice scrub. :)

the ingredients. (I didn't end up using the metal containers)

my repurposed peanut butter jar- all clean and ready to receive!

after pouring in the brown sugar, I added the sea salt

brown sugar, sea salt and cocoa powder already in the jar- now for heaping teaspoons of cinnamon or ginger)

all dry ingredients added- then stir, stir, stir.....

add the oil. I did an equal mixture of sweet almond and jojoba. Both are good for the skin. I chose a mixture because jojoba is expensive these days !

just before the second round of stirring commenced. 

Et Voila!! Scrub a dub dub! (and then be amazed by your pure smoothness!!)
*a word of caution: when rinsing this off in the shower (which I recommend- I also recommend using it in the shower/tub before you turn the water on- this stuff can be messy!!) watch the slippery tub floor!!! OR you could scrub and then run the bath and have a nice long bath in the salts!

I dare you not to be amazed by the feel and smell of your skin after this!!

*(next up- d.i.y. tile coasters!)

No comments:

Post a Comment